Your question is really good. The same question came in my mind when I started my real research carrier. I think FT mean full time PhD.
Some of my suggestion which will help you for your research and paper publication.
- Improve your English (This is common for non-native English speaker).
- Complete course work seriously.
- Talk with your seniors
- Read more research paper
- Identify your targeted research problem
- Discuss with your adviser
- You can discuss such forum also, It is good habit and it will open your mindset
- This much work is enough to start research carrier
- Read more, it will open your view and mindset and next time you can answer others like that.
- Enjoy life .. ALL THE BEST..
- Also, there is no shortcut in life.. at least in research carrier..